How to Save Your Hair This Winter
For most people, winter wreaks havoc on their hair. Between frequent temperature changes from warm to cold both indoors and outdoors along with exposure to sunlight and freezing winds, regular hair care just doesn’t cut it. Your hair can end up looking flat and lifeless or frizzy along with fly-aways. Neither is flattering!
And yet, most of us have not been taught how to both protect and replenish our hair during winter months to be assured of lovely locks come springtime. So let’s get a jump on that right now.
Here’s what you’re advised to NOT do during winter months:
- Don’t over-wash your hair, as natural oils can be stripped out of both your hair and scalp resulting in both fizzy strands and the dreaded dandruff
- Don’t over-dry your hair, with either a dryer or electric straightener
- Don’t expose your hair too long to bright sunlight or freezing temperatures
- Don’t use styles that pull hair too tight as dry hair is more prone to breakage
And now here are a few tips for making the best of winter hair:
- When you wash your hair, use cool water to wash and cold water to rinse
- For touch ups between washes, use powders for a ‘dry wash’ to absorb oils
- Use replenishing oils or deep conditioning lotions for your scalp and hair several times a week
- Use conditioners with good SPF you can leave on if you are going out in the elements
- Use a hat or head covering when outside to avoid direct exposure to sun, cold and pollutants
- Get a trim more often to rid yourself of split ends and allow fuller absorption by healthy hairs
- Eat a healthy diet, with plenty of water, protein, Vitamins A, B & C in fresh fruits and veggies
- Exercise, as it keeps your blood and hormones flowing right up to the top of your head
Taking good care of winter hair allows for compliments on both a new style and how vibrant your hair looks. Now that’s an instant pick-me-up, and one you can take advantage of too!
Leave a comment